Wednesday 13 March 2013

Have I mentioned my love affair with cherries?


Dramatic shadows (SOLD)
23 x 30.5 cm
Acrylic on Canvas

There are certain objects we associate with certain artists, sometimes specific models, sometimes a specific palette. I never realised that cherries were like that for me. I always come back to them, there's a rather large jar of glazed cherries in the fridge just in case! 

I only realised that it was my thing (well one of my things) when I was working on a dark range of Vanitas paintings, and one of the paintings featured a tiny little brass bowl with two cherries inside next to the skull - partly to indicate scale, and partly because the cherry is so vibrant and sweet and juicy and it really clashed nicely with the pale skull. And a friend was specifically interested in the painting that included the cherries, because she wanted a 'trademark Marike Kleynscheldt' piece. And my brain started clicking with realisation.

I think it's important to include nuggets like those for the 'die-hard' fans, (of which I probably have about 5, but who knows what the future will bring? ;) ) It's like that for me with a bunch of different kinds of sweets, particulary Sparkles and Jelly beans, Marbles and other sentimental toys, Pomegranates, and hopefully in the near future more skulls (I've done 6, but they were all part of the same group) 
And I do believe that in years to come, when I have a bit of a more established name in the right circles, these occasional 'nuggets' will be significant among collectors.



Teeny Tiny Cherries (SOLD)
Acrylic on Canvas
15 x 15 cm ea
Teeny Tiny Detail

Floating Cherries Detail


Floating Cherries
Acrylic on Canvas
50 x 90 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment