Friday 10 May 2013


'A change is not as good as a holiday'
To misquote a friend's facebook update


Variation: Red Green Blue, 2013
Acrylic on Canvas
50 x 90 cm
The first painting started and finished in the studio.. others have been worked on or touched up, but this one is completely new. Also it was a blood sacrifice... of sorts. I offered up a painting I realised I wasn't crazy about, as I had run out of fresh canvasses.

So you might think it proves that the separate studio system has done me a world of good, but change is never simply change, and in this case it came along with stress, severe broke-ness, some more stress, and also the killer of creativity: pressure. As soon as I find myself thinking 'this one has to be great' I know there's gonna be trouble!
The crux with this one is how it relates to two circles I painted in '10, seen below, and the fact that I borrowed a friend's childhood marbles to paint, so it feels like it adds another dimension, it becomes more real somehow, at the risk of sounding pretentious.

So I'm pretty happy with that.

Anyway, so last weekend we popped in to Absolut Art, to see how my work looked on the wall, and it was brilliant, good feedback, great placement and there were samosas on sale next door, fun was had by all!
And we picked up two tiny canvasses I had gotten made, for an upcoming group exhibition. Which is what I'm working on now, in frustration, as I'm not used to working small anymore. 'Brush strokes be damned, just get it to look like something!' My panicky brain tries to shout over the mixed sounds of anticipation and fear.

This change was hectic enough that I need a holiday, or just another radical change, and as we all know, change is inevitable, so that should clear all of it up nicely.


2010 - 20 x 20 cm - Just posting this 'cause I find the changes in style interesting!

Also, if you'd be so kind as to try to 'follow' or subscribe to this, I've had severe trouble with a lack of subscribe button, and might have fixed it, time or comments will tell if it's fixed, or just messed about with!

No comments:

Post a Comment